Totland Bay Pier
The pier was constructed in 1880 by the same company that had recently built the large imposing Totland ‘Chalet’ Bay Hotel on the cliff overlooking the bay.
Paddle steamers called in on their way travelling between Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth and Yarmouth until 1931. After that, business at the hotel declined and it was used as a military hospital during the Second World War, during which time the pier was split to prevent enemy landings and was not restored until 1951. Paddle steamers then again began to call in at the pier up until 1969.
In the 1960s the hotel was again popular, but closed in the early 70s. Then, this magnificent hotel in the style of a continental chateau in red brick, complete with a turret tower and extravagant chimneys, was demolished and replaced with flats built in the vacuous style of English 1970s domestic architecture.
In 1999, the painter Dereck Barran purchased the pier and converted the building at the pier head into his studio. In 2012 Derek sold the pier to a private company.
The studio is no longer there.
Other Isle of Wight Piers: