Teignmouth Pier, Devon
Teignmouth was already a popular seaside destination by the time the pier opened in 1867, is now one of only two surviving piers in Devon.
It was originally built as a landing stage for steam ships that sailed along the coast connecting Lyme Regis, Sidmouth, Exmouth, Torquay and Dartmouth.
As with all piers of that time, the potential for selling to the visitors was obvious and old time Victorian amusement machines and opportunities to buy food soon appeared.
A pavilion was built at the entrance in 1887, with another being added at the pier head three years later.
In comparison to other piers of this period, it avoided large scale disasters, although in 1908 a large wave caused substantial damage to the entrance to the pavilion, but this was quickly repaired.
Closed during the Second World War, it was a busy entertainment center when it opened again in the late 1940s, holding all sorts of shows including beauty competitions, dances, talent shows and all.
A slow decline in its fortunes resulted in the end of shows and dances by 1962 and the demolition of the unused landing stage the following year.
By the 1980s the pier was given over to snacks and amusement machines.