Malibu Pier, California
Malibu Pier was opened in 1905.
It was commissioned by a local businessman, Frederick Rindge and his wife as a landing and pick up location for merchandise from their nearby ranch, mainly hides, grains, fruit and other agricultural products. They also built a private 20 mile railroad to serve the pier. It was much shorter then than it is now.
The pier opened to the public in 1934, but the company that owned it then went broke and within a couple of years bondholders took possession and extended it to its current 780 foot length.
It was used as a look out post during World War 2 up until 1943, when a severe storm cause significant damage to the structure. It was then sold on and the new owner, who rebuilt on what was left and added the two buildings at the seaward end which still stand.
In 1960, an artificial reef was created in the Pacific Ocean, about a mile south-east of the pier, in an attempt to protect it from ocean damage. The reef was composed of concrete pilings, derelict cars and other heavy junk.
In 1980 the State of California bought the pier from private hands in a very battered condition.
In 1983 El Niño storms destroyed several of the pilings, and the pier was closed for 18 months. Big storms in 1993 and 1994 further damaged the pier and it was closed in 1995, opening again in 2008.
In the late 90s California transferred ownership to the City of Malibu, with the provision that Malibu fix and maintain it, but as Malibu couldn’t afford to do that, ownership transferred back to the State.