Malibu Pier was opened in 1905.
It was commissioned by a local businessman, Frederick Rindge and his wife as a landing and pick up location for merchandise from their nearby ranch, mainly hides, grains, fruit, and other agricultural products. They also built a private 20 mile railroad to serve the pier. It was much shorter then than it is now.
The pier opened to the public in 1934, but the company that owned it then went broke and within a couple of years bondholders took possession and extended it to its current 780 foot length.
It was used as a look out post during World War 2 up until 1943 when a severe storm cause significant damage to the structure. It was then sold on and the new owner, who rebuilt on what was left and added the two buildings at the seaward end which still stand.
In 1980, the state purchased the property.
In 1983 El Niño destroyed several of the pilings, and the pier was closed for 18 months. Big storms in 1993 and 1994 damaged the pier and it was closed in 1995, opening again in 2008.
During the Woolsey Fires in the Santa Monica Hills, which started in November 2018, 200,000 people fled their homes. Evacuation orders included the entire city of Malibu, which is home to 13,000.
Cars filled the Pacific Coast Highway, a narrow winding road running past the entrance to Malibu Pier, which is busy at the best of times. Officials reversed the direction of the northbound lanes to allow people to flee south away from the fire. Some petrol stations could not deliver fuel because of downed power lines. Many watched the fires from the beach.