Lowestoft South Pier
Lowestoft South Pier was opened in 1846. A pavilion with a reading room was added in 1854 and a bandstand in 1884. Both were destroyed by fire the following year.
A more elaborate Arts and Craft style pavilion opened in 1891, with a new bandstand next to it.
Because of its location both world wars inflicted a heavy toll on the pier with two high explosive bombs scoring direct hits on the pier on the 31 December, 1940.
Another new pavilion was built and opened in 1956 and in the 60s the Tornados and the Hollies played there as well as well know comedians. The pier’s club name was ‘Cleopatra’s Nightclub’.
The Rolling Stones played at the Royal Hotel, which is now the East Point Pavilion.
That pavilion was pulled down in the 70s.