THE NEW PIER AT DEAL.
We present a View of the opening of the New Pier at Deal on Tuesday week. There was a great concourse of spectator’s around the flagstaff at the pier-head to witness this ceremony, which was performed by Mrs. Hugessen, wife of the borough member, who had in April, 1863, inaugurated the commencement of the work. The lady took her seat in a chair which was placed on a truck and drawn along the tramway to the end of the pier. She then declared the pier opened, and congratulated the Deal and Walmer Pier Company, as well as the town of Deal, upon the completion of this useful structure. There was afterwards a banquet at the New Assembly Room. Mr. John Attwell, chairman of the company, presided and among the guests was Lord Clarence Paget, the Secretary to the Admiralty, besides county and borough members. Lord Clarence Paget highly commended the erection of this pier to give a readier access to the shore from the Downs roadstead, and hinted that if the charges were not too exorbitant the Government might be disposed to use the Deal pier for the embarkation of troops. It is expected that this accommodation will induce many persons to land at Deal from ships passing up the Channel. The pier was designed by Mr. Eugenius Birch, engineer of the pier at Blackpool. It has been constructed, under his superintendence, in most satisfactory manner, by Messrs. R. Laidlaw, of Glasgow. The pier is constructed of wrought and cast iron, and is supported upon cast-iron columns, which are screwed into the ground. It has seat accommodation along its entire length, and in the centre is a tramway for conveying goods and luggage, while ample means are provided for landing and embarking at any point.